NVivo Advanced Course
Improve your data analysis skills with our 1-day NVivo Advance Course. This course is designed for those who are currently using NVivo and want to explore the advance features to enable them to analyse and visualise their data for reporting. Please see course details below for the course outline.
Small Class Size
To ensure that high quality and responsive learning support is given to each participant, we only take a small class with a maximum of 9 participants on our scheduled courses. Therefore, it is important you register your interest early to secure a place.
- Post Graduate Researcher undertaking PhD study or Masters.
- Early Career Researcher new to research, on their first teaching & research post or an independent researcher.
- Mid-Career Researcher building reputation and esteem to help establish influence and leadership.
- Expert Researcher or Research Leader, influencing research strategy and mentoring researchers of the future.
This is a follow-on from the beginners’ course. Please bring your current NVivo project to class if you are working on one, to build on the advance skills. Please see course details below for the course reminders.
The teaching method is mainly hands-on. It is supported by presentation, demonstration, encourage reflection, discussions, questions and answers.
The tutor will go around to examine each participant’s project on their coding, node structure, and classification to provide suggestions, corrections and efficiency tips. This will ensure that your coding and node structure will support in-depth data analyses.
Each participant receives an instructional workbook to work through and to keep.
Certificate of Completion & After Training Support
Each participant receives a certificate of completion, ongoing after training support via phone, email and weekly live questions and answers Webinar.
Morning session you will learn to:
- Examine your thematic coding framework, to identify repetition of nodes and streamline.
- Cluster related nodes, sort, merge, relocate, rename, and restructure your thematic coding, if necessary, to allow for efficient analysis.
- Test for relational coding and check the ability of your thematic coding framework to answer your research questions.
- Classify your data (subjects) by their demographic attributes and values.
- Use a variety of queries – coding, matrix, cross-tabulation, compound, comparison and group queries to ask questions and gather coded references to answer them.
- Use sets to group sources and search folders to filter data to help to ask specific research questions.
Afternoon session you will learn how to:
- Use charts, maps, and diagrams to explore and to conduct in-depth analyses and to generate output for presentations.
- Create Framework Matrices – a data reduction methodology developed by Liz Spencer and Jane Ritchie of NatCen to conduct case by case analysis of policy document, structured data or systematic reviews.
- Setup and manage a group project involving many researchers or coders from different geographical locations, working on the same project.
Use the remaining time to work on your own project and receive individual support from the tutor.
Please BRING YOUR OWN Laptop with NVivo installed and tested for working to our public courses. Laptops are not provided at this venue.
If you do not have NVivo installed on your laptop, you can download a 14-days FREE trial copy from this link.
Practice interview data files are provided for those who have not collected data as yet. Download it here.
Bring any interview transcripts you may have to work on.
Register Your Interest
We only need 4 interested people to put up an Advance course, so please submit your interest to make it happen.