One-day Survival Analysis Course
This one-day course focuses on the fundamental concepts of survival analysis of medical research data. A common feature of survival data is its censored data which makes standard statistical techniques inadequate to use to analyse such data. This course gives you a practical use of Life Tables, Kaplan-Meier and Cox Regression models and shows how to interpret the statistical outputs. You will learn techniques for analysing survival time between groups and examine the effect of prognostic factors on survival time.
Small Class Size
To ensure that high quality and responsive learning support is given to each participant on our public courses, we only take a small class with a maximum of 9 participants. Therefore, it is important you register your interest early to secure a place.
This course assumes little or no working knowledge of basic SPSS. You are encouraged to come along with thoughts or data from a research involving data measuring time to the occurrence of a particular event.
The teaching method is mainly hands-on. It is supported by presentation, demonstration, discussions, questions and answers.
The tutor will screen share to examine each participant’s project to provide suggestions, corrections and efficiency tips.
Each participant receives an instructional workbook.
Certificate of Completion & After Training Support
Each participant receives a certificate of completion and ongoing after training support via phone, email and screen sharing.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define the status (alive, death, event, censored) of the outcome variable.
- Estimate the survival percentages based on factors and strata.
- Generate Life tables and understand the output.
- Use Kaplan-Meier estimates of survival differences for fixed factors and strata.
- Compare mean, median, confidence interval of survival times for two or more groups.
- Test for differences in survival time for strata using Log-rank and Wilcoxon tests.
- Model the survival and hazard functions of the data and test it.
- Assess the model, fit it and interpret the fitted model.
- Use case study exercises to understand survival analysis.
- Generate Kaplan-Meier estimates, survival curves and Hazard function.
- If you do not have IBM SPSS software installed on your laptop, you can download a 14-days FREE trial copy from this link.
- Practice files come with a working copy of the software.