This course focuses on the fundamental concepts of survival analysis of medical research data. A common feature of survival data is its censored data which makes standard statistical techniques inadequate to use to analyse such data. This course gives you a practical use of Life Tables, Kaplan-Meier and Cox Regression models and shows how to interpret the statistical outputs. You will learn techniques for analysing survival time between groups and examine effect of prognostic factors on survival time.
Doctors, dentists, nurses, allied health professionals, researchers, academics, service staff, and students, who seek clear understanding of survival analysis techniques using SPSS software to analysis their data.
This course assumes a little or no working knowledge of basic SPSS. You are encouraged to come along with thoughts or data from a research involving data measuring time to the occurrence of a particular event.
The teaching method is mainly hands-on. It is supported by presentation, demonstration, encourage reflection, discussions, questions and answers. The tutor will go around to examine each participant’s project to provide suggestions, corrections and efficiency tips.
Each participant receives an instructional workbook to work through and keep.
Certificate of Completion & After Training Support
Each participant receives a certificate of completion and ongoing after training support via phone, email and a weekly live questions and answers Webinar, Friday mornings 11-12 noon GMT.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Define the status (alive, death, event, censored) of the outcome variable.
- Estimate the survival percentages based on factors and strata.
- Generate Life tables and understand the output.
- Use Kaplan-Meier estimates of survival differences for fixed factors and strata.
- Compare mean, median, confidence interval of survival times for two or more groups.
- Test for differences in survival time for strata using Log-rank and Wilcoxon tests
- Model the survival and hazard functions of the data and test it
- Assess the model, fit it and interpret the fitted model
- Use case studies exercises to teach survival analysis.
- General Kaplan-Meier estimates and survival curves.
- Generate Hazard function and test.
- Assess the model, fit it and interpret the fitted model.
- Please bring your laptop with IBM SPSS software installed and tested for working correctly. If you need to download a free trial version, here is a link to download.
- Practice files come pre-loaded with a working copy of SPSS software.