NVivo 2-days Course 18-19 Sep 2019
£290.94 – £371.75 excl. VAT
About 2-days Complete Introduction to NVivo Course
Start your qualitative project with our 2-day hands-on, workshop. This course is designed for the complete beginner as well as those who have used previous versions of the software or are self-taught and want to upgrade their skill. Please see course details below for the course outline.
Small Class Size
To ensure that high quality and responsive learning support is given to each participant, we only take a small class with a maximum of 9 participants on our scheduled courses. Therefore, it is important you register your interest early to secure a place.
- Post Graduate Researcher undertaking PhD study or Masters.
- Early Career Researcher new to research, on their first teaching & research post or an independent researcher.
- Mid-Career Researcher building reputation and esteem to help establish influence and leadership.
- Expert Researcher or Research Leader, influencing research strategy and mentoring researchers of the future.
No previous knowledge of NVivo is required. Please see course details below for the course reminders.
The teaching method is mainly hands-on. It is supported by presentation, demonstration, encourage reflection, discussions, questions and answers.
The tutor will go around to examine each participant’s project on their coding, node structure, and classification to provide suggestions, corrections and efficiency tips. This will ensure that your coding and node structure will support in-depth data analysis.
Each participant receives an instructional workbook to work through and keep.
Certificate of Completion & After Training Support
Each participant receives a certificate of completion and ongoing after training support via phone, email and a weekly live questions and answers Webinar.
Day 1: Explore NVivo and Create a New Project
Morning Session you will learn to:
- Explore the functionalities of NVivo.
- Create a practice project and set up folders for your data.
- Import interview transcripts into the practice project.
- Learn to code a transcript into both “open-codes” and “thematic coding framework”.
- Annotate your coding, attach coding summaries in memos to transcripts and nodes.
- Create memos for field notes, reflective notes, and supervision meeting records.
Afternoon Session you will learn to:
- Organise your growing open-codes into thematic coding structure using colour to cluster them.
- Examine your coding using Coding Stripes and highlights.
- Classify the interviews by their demographic attributes and values.
- Create relationship types and use them to construct relationship nodes to code into.
Day 2: Advance functions in NVivo
The second day is designed as a follow-on from day-1.
Morning Session you will learn to:
- Use sets and search folders to organise and filter your data for specific research questions.
- Use a number of queries – coding, matrix and group queries to ask questions and gather coded references to answer them.
- Use concept maps, project maps to explore and patterns and relationships in your data.
- Explore the use of audio, video, and social media content in NVivo.
- Advise on how to setup and manage a group project involving a number of researchers or coders from different geographical locations, working on the same project.
Afternoon session you will learn how to:
- Create a literature review project and learn how to quickly explore your literature using keywords and phrases;
- Code your finds into thematic coding framework for further analysis and reporting.
- Generate “word cloud” for poster presentation.
- Create Framework Matrices – a data reduction methodology developed by Liz Spencer and Jane Ritchie of NatCen to conduct case by case analysis of policy document or systematic literature review.
Use the remaining time to work on your own project and receive individual support from the tutor.
Bring any interview transcripts you may have to work on.
If you do not have NVivo installed on your laptop, you can download a 14-days FREE trial copy from this link.
Student/Charity, Academic Delegate, Commercial Delegate