One-day NVivo Literature Review Course for Windows – Nov 17, 2020
£145.74 – £185.88 excl. VAT
Start your literature review with this hands-on workshop. You will be introduced to use NVivo to manage your literature sources such as journal articles, e-books, policy documents, and website resources. You will be shown to use NVivo’s powerful search functions to search for key words and phrases across all your literature sources. You will learn to ‘harvest’ and code the finds into themes; and critically review the literature to carry out comparative analysis. This is a time saver tool!
Start your literature review with this hands-on workshop. You will learn to use NVivo to manage your literature sources such as journal articles, e-books, policy documents, and website resources. You will be shown how to use NVivo’s powerful search functions to search for key words and phrases across all your literature sources. You will learn how to ‘harvest’ and code the finds into themes, and critically review the literature to carry out comparative analysis. This is a time saver tool because you get to work with all your literature at the same time to explore topic by topic.
This course is a must attend for all PhD students at the beginning of their programme! Essex University.
Small Class Size
To ensure that high quality and responsive learning support is given to each participant, we only take a small class with a maximum of 9 participants on our scheduled courses. Therefore, it is important you register your interest early to secure a place.
No previous knowledge of NVivo is required. Please see course details below for the course reminders.
The teaching method is mainly hands-on. It is supported by presentation, demonstration, discussions, questions and answers.
The tutor will screen share to examine each participant’s project on their coding, node structure, and classification. Thereby provide suggestions, corrections and efficiency tips. This will ensure that your coding and node structure will support in-depth data analysis.
Each participant receives an instructional workbook.
Certificate of Completion & After Training Support
Each participant receives a certificate of completion and ongoing after training support via phone, email and screen sharing.
Morning Session, you will learn to:
- Create your Literature Review Project in NVivo.
- Import into the project, your literature sources from your computer or directly from reference manager software such as EndNote, RefWorks, Mendeley, and Zotero libraries.
- Use Word Frequency and Text Search Queries to explore key words and phrases across the whole of your literature and ‘harvest’ the finds into codes to critically code-on into topics or themes.
- You may visualise the data initially using Word Cloud, Word Tree and Cluster Analysis.
- Code your data into both ‘open codes’ and established thematic coding framework.
- Add annotations, explanations, and interpretations to key points in your data.
- Compare and critically evaluate the works of various authors by using framework matrices.
- Use Node Matrix to compare different authors by topics to see which themes are well covered and which themes are need further exploration.
Afternoon Session, you will learn to:
- Use visuals to explore further patterns in the data.
- Import your findings and analytical memos to your Word or Pages for writing up.
- To setup a Framework Matrix table from a structured theme and sub-themes with associated demographic attributes.
- Read and summaries the context of the transcripts into the matrix cells.
- Perform further analysis and generate summary for reporting.
Please bring as many full text journal articles as you can to class, downloaded in PDF format. You may also export your EndNote, RefWorks, Mendeley, Zotero library of your full text articles into a zip file to class. Policy document will be provided for the demonstration of framework Analysis.
PLEASE NOTE. Abstract alone is NOT useful to analyse, you will need the full text journal attachments. If you do not have the attachments in your Reference Management Software libraries, then simply bring the collection of your PDFs of your journal articles to class.
Please ensure you have a working copy of NVivo software on your laptop to join the online class.
If you do not have NVivo installed on your laptop, you can download a 14-days FREE trial copy from this link.
Student/Charity, Academic Delegate, Commercial Delegate