Two-day Complete NVivo for Windows – July 21-22, 2021
£290.94 – £371.75 excl. VAT
Start your qualitative project with our 2-day hands-on training. This course is designed for the complete beginner as well as those who have used previous versions of the software or are self-taught and want to upgrade their skill. This 2-day workshop provides a thorough hands-on-overview of NVivo using a sample project. After the overview, participants will create a practice project from scratch. Sample project data is provided. Participants may use their own data after the initial practice.
The aim of the training is for participants to gain confidence in setting up a project framework, importing data, coding, annotating, memoing, linking ideas, exploring, probing, visualising data, and gathering evidence for writing up findings.
Two-day Complete Introduction to NVivo Course
Start your qualitative project with our two-day hands-on training. This course is designed for a complete beginner, as well as those who have used previous versions of the software or are self-taught and want to upgrade their skill. This course provides a thorough hands-on overview of NVivo using a sample project. After the overview, participants will create a practice project from scratch. Sample project data is provided. Participants may use their own data after the initial practice.
The aim of this training is for participants to gain confidence in setting up a project framework, importing data, coding, annotating, memoing, linking ideas, exploring, probing, visualising data, and gathering evidence for writing up findings.
Small Class Size
To ensure that high quality and responsive learning support is given to each participant, we only take a small class with a maximum of 9 participants. Therefore, it is important you register your interest early to secure a place.
No previous knowledge of NVivo is required. Please see course details below for the course reminders.
The teaching method is mainly hands-on. It is supported by presentation, demonstration, discussions, questions and answers.
The tutor will screen share to examine each participant’s project on their coding, node structure, and classification. Thereby provide suggestions, corrections and efficiency tips. This will ensure that your coding and node structure will support in-depth data analysis.
Each participant receives an instructional workbook.
Certificate of Completion & After Training Support
Each participant receives a certificate of completion and ongoing after training support via phone, email and screen sharing. Please ask for it.
Day 1: Explore NVivo and Create a New Project
In the Morning Session you will learn to:
- Explore the functionalities of NVivo.
- Create a practice project and set up folders for your data.
- Import interview transcripts into the practice project.
- Learn to code a transcript into both “open-codes” and “thematic coding framework”.
- Annotate your coding, attach coding summaries in memos to transcripts and nodes.
- Create memos for field notes, reflective notes, and supervision meeting records.
In the Afternoon Session you will learn to:
- Organise your growing open-codes into thematic coding structure using colour to cluster them.
- Examine your coding using Coding Stripes and highlights.
- Classify the interviews by their demographic attributes and values.
- Create relationship types and use them to construct relationship nodes to code into.
Day 2: Advance functions in NVivo
The second day is designed as a follow-on from day one.
In the Morning Session you will learn to:
- Use sets and search folders to organise and filter your data for specific research questions.
- Use a number of queries – coding, matrix and group queries to ask questions and gather coded references to answer them.
- Use concept maps, project maps to explore and patterns and relationships in your data.
- Explore the use of audio, video, and social media content in NVivo.
- Advise on how to setup and manage a group project involving a number of researchers or coders from different geographical locations, working on the same project.
In the Afternoon session you will learn how to:
- Learn how to quickly explore your data using keywords and phrases.
- Code your finds into thematic coding framework for further analysis and reporting.
- Generate “word cloud” for poster presentation.
- Create Framework Matrices – a data reduction methodology developed by Liz Spencer and Jane Ritchie of NatCen to conduct case by case analysis of policy document or systematic literature review.
Use the remaining time to work on your own project and receive individual support from the tutor.
Bring any interview transcripts you may have to work on.
If you do not have NVivo installed on your laptop, you can download a 14-days FREE trial copy from this link.
Start, Finish & Break Times in GMT
Start: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Morning Break: 11 am – 11:10 am
Lunch Break: 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Afternoon Break: 3 pm – 3:10 pm
Student/Charity, Academic Delegate, Commercial Delegate